12 Dec Our Top Tips for Interns
You’ve just gotten word that you are going to Washington, DC for an internship on Capitol Hill! Now what do you do? Read our top tips for interns below.
- Confirm dates you need to arrive and how long the internship will last.
- Ask about attire and whether it is business or casual business attire. Make sure to dress for success.
- Get your housing in order. Is there a friend or relative you can stay with? Otherwise seek out furnished short term housing options. Make sure it is close to transportation since the Metro is the best way to get around DC. Our housing is located near major Metro lines for easy travel.
- Don’t forget to be helpful and courteous.
- Ask questions. For many interns, this is their first time working in an office environment and with professionals. No one expects you to be the expert, so go ahead, ask that question!
- Enjoy where you are and what you are experiencing. Washington, DC is one of the most vibrant cities in the world. Beautiful with its graceful monuments and heady as the headquarters for our three branches of government.
- Go see the US Supreme Court and the Library of Congress. Witness the US Supreme Court in action and take in the beauty of one of the largest libraries in the world.
- Ask your internship coordinator to write you a letter of recommendation before you leave. This will go a long way with future employers.
- Follow up. Your internship may be over, but that doesn’t mean you need to lose touch with fellow interns and colleagues. A thank you to your internship boss and an occasional follow up is a good way to stay in touch. This is our most important tip for interns!
We hope you found these tips for interns helpful. If you’re looking for short-term housing in Washington, DC, we can help! Check out our traditional housing options. All of our housing is fully furnished and move-in ready, so all you have to do is bring linens and you’re all set! Contact us if you have any questions and apply today.